What is DMHA (AKA 2 aminoisoheptane, octodrine, 2-amino-6-methylheptane) and What are the differences between 2-amino-6-methylheptane and 2-amino-5-methylheptane?
2-amino-5-methylheptane is a 7 carbon chain alkane (In the name “hept” means 7 and the suffix "-ane" signifies it is an alkane which is a chain of carbons bonded by all single bonds) compound that contains a NH2 group on its 2o carbon (2-Amino) and a methyl group (CH3) on its 5o carbon. It is a serious stimulant surrounded by much confusion as many supplements on the market list a compound under the common name DMHA, Octodrine, 2-Aminoisoheptane,or 1,5 Dimethylhexylamine which all actually refer to the 2-Amino-6-methylheptane compound. Although they are both extremely similar in structure, only varying by one carbon their methyl group is located on, they are actually pretty different. They both work as potent stimulants that produce effects similar to the crazed CNS stimulant 1,3-Dimethylamylamine (DMAA), however the two different versions are obtained and function differently. The “6 “ form is the chemically synthesized form of the compound that is made in a lab and not extracted from the natural source of Juglans Regia tree bark like the “5” version is. Many places claim that the “5” version is way too costly to use a stimulant in supplements and therefore almost all pre-workouts use the “6” form. However, there are many benefits in using the “5” form which is why we worked hard to supply it to you guys at an extremely reasonable cost! The benefits of the “5” version compared to the “6” include:
- It is extracted naturally and not chemically synthesized in a lab
- Is more potent at a less dose (average dose is around 75mg for the “5” form and 150mg for the “6”)
- Produces nootropic effects that the “6” fails too
2-Amino-5-methylhepane is structurally similar to monoamine releasing agents (“mono”=1, Amine = NH2-this compound contains one NH2 group) which are responsible for increasing levels of monoamines in the body. These monoamines include the “happy” hormone dopamine and also norepinephrine which produces the effects of enhanced alertness and euphoria. The one amine group allows the compound to act on trace amine associated receptor 1's to increase the levels of the two monamines (dopamine + norepinephrine) while also preventing their reuptake from the synaptic cleft into cytsol where they are stored by other cells and cannot interact with receptors to produce their effects; therefore inhibiting the reuptake of these two hormones raises active circulating levels.The methyl-group on the compound has an important function as well as it provides other benefits including:
- Limits the ability of Monoamine Oxidase (MOA) to bind to the molecule- MOA is the enzyme that breaks down monoamines. Having one methyl group partialy blocks the enzyme from degrading the molecule allowing it to last longer and produce ehanced effects. However, having one methyl group does not block it enough that it produces harmful side effects by being blocked too long. This is the case with amphetamines as they contain 2 methyl groups
- The methyl group increases the compounds amphiphilic properties (meaning it has both hydrophobic-does not like water and hydrophilic-loves water) which allows the compound to be more soluble in lipids allowing it to cross the Blood-Brain-Barrier more readily where it exerts its effects
- Causes the compound to interact with target transporters more easily decreasing the amount of monoamine hormones lost in reuptake
2-Amino-5-Methylheptane is a potent stimulant that does compromise the overall health of our athletes. It actually provides beneficial effects as its use requires the ingestion of less caffeine with better energy-producing effects, which over-using caffeine is a common habit in our society today and causes adverse side effects. Try out HURRICANE today and experience the benefits!